History of the Society

The Society was incorporated by an act of the General Assembly in 1931.  The building which now houses the Society was constructed about 1830 as a bank with commercial space for a vault and cashier’s office on the first floor and residential quarters for the head cashier above.  In the 1890s, architect Levi Cameron completed major renovations to the building.  It was last privately owned by Henry H. Mitchell.  In 1955, the Cecil County Public Library obtained the building as its home and the Society was given space, the Howard Room, for its collection.  In 1988, the library moved to a new home and the Society occupied a large part of the building.

Cecil County History on the Internet

The Historical Society of Cecil County

About Us

Research Library

The library has the largest collection of books, manuscripts, maps, government documents and newspapers pertaining to Cecil County in existence.  The constantly expanding collection contains over 2,000 books and 12,000 issues of newspapers (starting in 1827).  The library preserves newspaper clippings, obituaries, souvenir booklets, pamphlets, and other memorabilia related to county families, businesses, organizations, churches, schools, towns, industries, and important events in vertical files.  Photographic collections include an impressive array of postcards, slides, prints, glass plates, negatives, lantern slides, stereo cards and daguerreotypes.  Wills, land records, correspondence, receipt, business and organization records and much more comprise the manuscript collection.


The museum features an impressive collection of 19th century furnishings, historic artifacts, and works of art of local interest.  Four permanent exhibits and regularly changing displays highlight aspects of Cecil County history.  The collection ranges from colonial furnishings to Victorian-doll houses.  Permanent exhibits consist of the Rev. William Duke’s Log House and the Sheriff John F. DeWitt Military Museum.





The home of the society is shown in this postcard from about 1910.  At this point it was a bank.